BEST TRANSIT operates a Door-to-Door transportation program for Bradford, Sullivan and Tioga counties.
“Shared Ride” means that the service is open to the public but is not a taxi service. The Shared Ride service will pick you up at your door and transport you to your destination. Since the service is “Shared Ride”, there may be other persons on the vehicle besides you or the driver may need to pick up other passengers prior to dropping you off at your destination.
Shared Ride services are funded in Part by the PA Lottery and grants from the respective county commissioners.
The main shared-ride transportation programs available are:
Senior Shared Ride:
Residents who are 65 years of age or older are eligible. The program is funded through the Pennsylvania Lottery Program. The Lottery Program funds 85 percent of the shared-ride program and 15 percent, minus a $1 co-pay, is funded by the local Area Agency on Aging. The trips can be used for almost any reason Monday through Friday within the three-county coverage area. Download Application.
Persons with Disabilities Transportation Program:
Residents who are between the ages of 18 and 64 and have a certifiable disability are qualified. There is a mileage-based co-pay that ranges from $3.00 to $7.50 per destination. The program is funded by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. The trips can be used for almost any reason Monday through Friday within the three-county coverage area. Download Application.
Medical Assistance Transportation Program:
Applicants must have Medical Assistance through the Department of Human Services to qualify for this transportation program. This service can only be used for medical appointments or to have prescriptions filled. There is no co-pay, as the Department of Human Services reimburses BeST Transit for the trips. Please call (570) 888-7330 to register and to obtain an application. To view the Welcome Brochure download here.
How it works:
- All persons using Shared Ride must be registered with BEST TRANSIT. Once registered, you may call to schedule an appointment up to 11 a.m. the business day before your trip request. Same day trip requests are charged the full, unsubsidized fare.
- BEST TRANSIT requires you to be ready 1 hour before your scheduled pick up time, remember it is a Shared Ride service so we cannot guarantee an exact pick up time, but we’ll do our best.
- When you board the bus, you will pay your fare then sit back and enjoy the ride.
How do you know if you are qualified for a subsidized fare?
If you’re age 65 or older, you’re qualified thanks to the PA Lottery! If you’re under 65, BEST TRANSIT has a variety of programs that may assist you in riding the bus at a reduced fare, ask us for more information. Unsubsidized fares for the general public range from $20.00 – $50.00 per one way trip.
What if I have a mobility aid device or have difficulty boarding the bus?
BEST TRANSIT maintains a fleet of fully ADA Compliant vehicles ranging from minivans to transit buses and drivers will assist passengers boarding and exiting the bus upon request.
Where does BEST TRANSIT go?
BEST TRANSIT services are available throughout Bradford, Sullivan and Tioga counties, Monday through Friday. In addition, BEST TRANSIT also travels outside its three-county coverage certain days of the week:
Monday: Owego, Binghamton are / Coudersport area
Tuesday: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area
Wednesday: Williamsport-area, Danville-area
Thursday: Bath-area, Elmira-area
Monday through Friday:
Bradford or Sullivan to Tioga & Tioga to Bradford or Sullivan.
Group trips, however, are available Monday-through- Friday outside of our three-county coverage area.
Transit Passenger Polices & Responsibilities
It is BEST TRANSIT’s goal to provide reliable, safe and affordable transportation to ALL residents of Bradford, Sullivan and Tioga counties. In order to do so, it is important that our riders understand some basic policies for using the BEST TRANSIT bus.
– It is the goal of BEST TRANSIT to pick up passengers within on hour before or one hour after the scheduled time. It is the rider’s responsibility to be ready for the BEST TRANSIT bus during this time frame.
– When the BEST TRANSIT bus arrives to pick you up at your residence, the bus driver will wait a maximum of 5 minutes for the rider. If you are going to be late or need to change your trip time, please call BEST TRANSIT at 570.888.7330 or 1.800.242.3484 so we can notify the driver.
– Any passenger who needs to cancel their scheduled trip must notify BEST TRANSIT at least two hours before the trip. Failure to cancel your trip could result in the rider being charged the full fare for that trip. Please call BEST TRANSIT at 570.888.7330 or 1.800.242.3484 between 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM to cancel your trip.
Door to Door service
– BEST TRANSIT bus drivers can, and will, assist any rider who needs help entering or exiting the BEST TRANSIT bus.
Entering homes or buildings
– The BEST TRANSIT bus driver is not permitted to enter any person’s home or place of residence. It is the responsibility of the rider to enter and exit their home or place of residence without assistance of the BEST TRANSIT bus driver.
Riding with an Escort
– Any person who uses the BEST TRANSIT bus service can have an escort ride with them pending eligibility. All escorts must get on and off the bus at the same time as the rider. You must tell BEST TRANSIT when you schedule your trip if you need to travel with an escort.
– All riders are permitted to carry packages and bags on the BEST TRANSIT bus. Bus drivers shall assist with putting bags on or off the bus only if the rider requests assistance. There is a limit of 3 bags that a rider can bring on the bus.
– All riders that use mobility aid devices such as wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, etc. must have an accessible path from the door of your residence to the entrance of the bus while parked in your driveway. Wheelchair ramps must be clear of snow and other debris, driveways must be plowed and or salted to prevent ice and no driver is authorized to lift a manual wheelchair over more than 1 step. Under no circumstances will a driver push or lift an electric scooter. Drivers will not push wheelchairs through snow or through yards.